
I Vowed Never to Forget
Junel Barnes
I vowed to never forget. I was about 10 years old and my mother had
filed for divorce. My mom, my sister and
I were now living with one of my mom’s friends.
The lady had 2 sons close in age about 7 and 9 years old. The first hurdle was getting accustomed to
living with boys, which was new to me.
After the initial hurdle, we started to get along. I remember one of the games we played. We played “Whales”, a game where we pretended
to be whales doing the things whales would do and chasing each other with large
whale like movements. We were in a
fantastical ocean, with waves and danger, right in the middle of their mother’s
living room. At first, pretending seemed
so silly. I was too old for this, I was
almost a pre-teen. But as I played and hung
out with the boys, my reservations waned and it became more natural. I thoroughly enjoyed myself with those boys,
playing whales and the like. I had
re-entered my childhood. That year I was
on a tightrope balancing between childhood and almost the entry point of the
pre-teen life.

Looking back on that year, I remember how our life began
to get better. Our life began to settle,
the divorce preceded, and soon enough my father was a part of our past and my
mom got us an apartment. I always remind
myself of the mental transition of re-entering my childhood. As an adult, I can now understand why parents
don’t understand their children. They
literally forget what it is like to be a child.
Their memory of understanding childhood the way a child would is erased as they
come out of childhood.
Similar to Peter Pan, I had been given this opportunity to
understand. I look at this memory and
see it in my mind’s eye. I vowed to
myself to remember, and I do. But
interestingly enough I recall it very much like someone remembers a fairy tale,
fantastical and delightful, but not really real. I guess once upon a time I grew into an adult.
Comments
Post a Comment
Please comment on this post, or email me, Jeb, Junel Barnes at jebssecret@gmail.com.